Monday, August 3, 2009

Class Blog

1. (Description)
Something was strange as I stood at the end of the hallway in my dormitory. There wasn’t anything truly out of the ordinary but I got the sense that something big had just happened. I proceed down the hallway taking each step as if the floor would give out at any second. When I finally reached my door I paused for a second still feeling uneasy about something, although I was unsure about the cause. When I reached for my doorknob I felt a sudden chill run down my spine which chilled me to the bone and scared me into the room. As soon as I opened the door to the apartment, I knew that my roommate had played party host all weekend long.2. (Illustration)
There are many ways that the university bookstore takes advantage of students. Whenever I go in there I feel as though I am in an oppressed country where I have to beg for the smallest slice of bread. Whether it is something as small as a pencil, or something as large as a textbook they always act the same, as though they are giving you their arms and legs. The begging of the year you have to try and navigate either through the store itself or through the bookstore’s website, which is a needle in a haystack. After the first week you have to plead your case to them for the right book because, even though you clearly ordered it, they sent you the wrong textbook and they give an attitude that it is completely your fault and in no way are they responsible. As bad as the start is the ending is a hundred times worse, those million dollar textbooks that they sold you when you go to return them for your money back they insist that the textbook is only worth a small fraction of what it used to be, and after waiting for an hour in the line because they only have one person working the return counter for the whole student body, you are so frustrated that you will take any amount of money to get out of there.

3. Illistration
Whenever I go in there I feel as though I am in an oppressed country where I have to beg for the smallest slice of bread. Whether it is something as small as a pencil, or something as large as a textbook they always act the same, as though they are giving you their arms and legs. The begging of the year you have to try and navigate either through the store itself or through the bookstore’s website, which is a needle in a haystack. After the first week you have to plead your case to them for the right book because, even though you clearly ordered it, they sent you the wrong textbook and they give an attitude that it is completely your fault and in no way are they responsible. As bad as the start is the ending is a hundred times worse, those million dollar textbooks that they sold you when you go to return them for your money back they insist that the textbook is only worth a small fraction of what it used to be, and after waiting for an hour in the line because they only have one person working the return counter for the whole student body, you are so frustrated that you will take any amount of money to get out of there. When it was all said and done, I was just glad to call it a day.4.(Narration)
When I first met Fern, I knew immediately that she was a smoker. She was reeking of tobacco and her teeth were starting to stain yellow, and she had calices on her fingers from her cheap, quick stop Bic lighter. If that wasn’t all the evidence that I needed to condemn her to a slow painful lung cancer related death about halfway through the introduction she began to rummage through her purse, pulled out a pack of cigarettes and offered me one. The nerve of this girl to think that I would even be remotely interested in following in her footsteps down that dark, lonely street, she had another thing coming. Her car wasn’t safe from her addiction, the inside smelled just like the exhaust pipe and it was riddled with used packs and empty butts scattered everywhere. 5. (Illustration)
My roommate has a very peculiar morning ritual. We call him cheese bread, because every morning at about five in the morning he will get out of bed to make three sandwiches with only cheese on them. In his have asleep state he doesn’t realize what he is doing, but he does it every morning at exactly the same time. I asked him one time why he does it and he was so unaware that he does it he thought that we were fooling around with him. So one night we videotaped him getting out of bed and preparing his three cheese bread sandwiches and showed it to him the next morning. He was amazed that he never knew that did such an odd ritual. He never did anything about it after that, so he just rises from his bed every morning at the same time to put together his favorite treats.6. (Narration)
Attending USI has changed my life in many ways. It has given me a new sense of confidence that can only be earned through the accomplishment of moving away from the nest and doing things for myself. Registering, attending, working, and paying my own bills with the help of my parents has been eye-opening for me in that I have a new understanding on life. I know now that you have to work hard to get the basic necessities and that you have to plan for the future because things happen out of the ordinary that could possibly have devastating effects. I thank USI for helping me to see my potential and for allowing me to be able to understand the world better.

No comments:

Post a Comment